Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Destined for the Throne – Part Three

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory. Romans 8:28-30 (NLT)

Look at the progression in these verses:

  • He chose us to become like his Son
  • He called us to come to him
  • He gave us right standing with himself
  • He gave us his glory

As believers, there is a time coming that God is going to give us HIS GLORY! WOW!!! Can you fathom that? Can you wrap your mind around that? We are truly destined for his throne to share in his glory!

So what is God up to in our lives while here on earth? Is he telling us, “just have a good time and I will see you when you get home?” Or, “I trust you to make good decisions and I will let you know when you mess up?” I don’t think so. It seems obvious that God is up to something very specific in our lives --- to make us like his Son. In order to prepare for our queenly role, he wants us to be like Jesus.

I’m sure I heard this in some sermon illustration long ago. There was a sculptor chiseling a large piece of stone into a sculpture of a man. When asked “how do you know where to chisel?” he responded, “I see the finished man and chisel away anything that does not look like him.” Well, maybe that’s not exactly what he said, but you get the point.

God is looking at the finished product when he looks at us. What he sees is his son Jesus. His agenda in my life is to remove anything that does not look like Jesus! Sometimes he has to knock large chunks off, like when we have a sin in our life that has gripped us or when we have filled our lives with just stuff. Sometimes he chisels away small pieces in our lives, like when we have an attitude that is not honoring to Jesus.

Sometimes he uses very fine sandpaper to smooth away a few blemishes. I am looking forward to the very fine sandpaper because I am still getting whacked with a HUGE chisel!!! Sometimes I feel like God is going to chisel away at me until there is nothing left of me… oh wait… that’s the whole point!

He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. John 3:30

God is not trying to make me a better man. God is sculpting me into the very nature and image of his perfect Son.

Are you destined for the Throne? If so, then what is being chiseled from your life today?