Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Destined for the Throne – Part One


I remember everything about my wedding day… the church was packed thirty minutes prior to the ceremony. I was the youth minister at Lawndale Baptist in Greensboro, NC and Mary grew up in the church, so everyone came. I even had a long-time friend there who had to hitchhike from Washington, DC because his car broke down on the interstate. My life has never been the same. Here is a picture of us leaving the church for our honeymoon. (Yes, I had hair and yes -- I was a stud.)

It’s been a great adventure ever since. In fact, as I walked out of the church on that Saturday afternoon on July 2, 1977, I really had no idea of the fantastic life Mary and I would have. I had no idea of the blessing of Katie and Mack. I had no idea of the exciting years of ministering together… traveling the world… touching, and being touched by many lives.

Now, knowing what a great adventure my earthly wedding and married life has been, I can not begin to imagine my eternal marriage with Jesus. My vocabulary is insufficient to express my thoughts.

Near the beginning of our marriage, I read a short little book called Destined for the Throne. It was one of those books that had a huge impact on me personally. It brought about a clearer understanding of the BIG picture. I mean the ULTIMATE picture. It caused me to think differently about EVERYTHING. Here is the main quote that caused me to rethink my life and my future:

. . . the one purpose of the universe from all eternity is the production and preparation of an Eternal Companion for the Son, called the Bride, the Lamb's Wife. Since she is to share the throne of the universe with her Divine Lover and Lord as a judicial equal, she must be trained, educated, and prepared for her queenly role. . .if one wants to know the meaning and purpose of history, he must look at the end, the final outcome, the net result. Since prophecy is history written in advance, we have history's final chapter in the Book of Revelation. . . the final and ultimate outcome and goal of events from eternity to eternity, the finished product of all the ages, is the spotless Bride of Christ, united with Him in wedded bliss at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb and seated with her heavenly Bridegroom upon the throne of the universe--ruling and reigning with Him over an ever increasing and expanding Kingdom. . . (Paul E. Billheimer, Destined for the Throne, p. 7f.)

You and I as believers are going to be eternal companions for Jesus! What a mind-boggling thought!

Join me as we walk through this incredible concept together over the next few blogs.