Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Counting Straws – Part 3

Once again, Jesus said that one of the keys to not worrying is to do something else in its place. He specifically said to “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously.”

So how do I live righteously? What does that look like?

Read the following from 1 Peter:

For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls. 1 Peter 2:21-25 (NLT)

Jesus lived for what is right. Jesus was obedient to the Father in spite of the personal cost. By doing so, he made it possible for us to live for what is right. Here are the action points for me in this passage:

  • I am commanded to live righteously by doing good, no matter the cost.
  • I am to follow the example of Christ.
  • I am to NOT retaliate when insulted.
  • I am to NOT seek revenge when wronged.
  • I am to trust God with every aspect of my life.

Along with the commands, God gives us some great promises in these verses. Because of Jesus and who He is:

  • I have been given an example that I can trust.
  • I have been relieved of all my sins when Jesus took them upon himself.
  • I have been declared dead to sin and alive in Christ.
  • I have been given the power and ability to live righteously; to do good.
  • I have been healed of every wound.
  • I have a Shepherd and a Guardian who cares for my soul.

FINALLY! There is someone to whom I can give my straws…

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 (NLT)

It’s time to give Jesus ALL of your straws!!