Friday, April 24, 2009

Counting Straws - Part 2

Jesus said that one of the keys to not worrying is to do something else in its place: “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously.”

“Seeking the Kingdom of God” first and foremost concerns salvation. That is the first step in “seeking the Kingdom of God.” When you receive salvation from God, you also receive God’s full care and provision. In other words, He gives you the ability to overcome your worries. He gives you the power to stop collecting your straws.

Let’s look at a few things the Bible says I don’t have to worry about now that I am a believer:

1. I don’t have to worry about losing my salvation.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. Romans 8:38 (NLT)

Okay… that’s a good thing to no longer worry about. What else?

2. I don’t have to worry about Jesus changing his mind about loving me.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8

Another good one! What else?

3. I don’t have to worry about trying to psyche myself into not worrying. I know, that sounds weird, but read what the Bible says to do with your worries:

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7

That’s a great habit to start. The moment you worry, immediately give it to God by saying “Lord, here’s another straw for you.”

4. I don’t have to worry about God not hearing my prayers.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6

God wants to hear from you… He is waiting for you to tell him all about your worries and your straw collect!

5. I don’t have to worry about my needs being met AND I don’t have to worry about God going bankrupt.

And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

Are you glad that God will never need a stimulus bailout?

Continue your journey towards the Kingdom of God by living in these promises of His word.

Next week we will talk “living righteously.”