Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Medical Update

Mary and I had a thorough meeting with my urologist today. We met for ninety minutes. Let me give you a basic summary:

  • We have confidence in my urologist/surgeon. He is a believer. He has a great reputation. God gave me a great peace about him.
  • We are very thankful to my family physician (who is also a believer) in that my symptoms were very minimal. That is, there was very little evidence that something was going on. I believe the Holy Spirit prompted him to be aggressive instead of a “wait and see” attitude.
  • The cancer (adenocarcinoma) is more advanced than we originally thought.
  • The surgeon believes the cancer is still contained within the prostate.
  • The stage of cancer that I have eliminated a few of the treatment options.
  • At this point Mary and I are moving towards surgery which will completely remove the prostate.
  • The surgical removal can be done by laparoscopic or robotic. (DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! – That’s for those of us who grew up on “Lost in Space”. And if I have to explain it to you, then it’s not funny.)
  • The surgery will probably be scheduled for early June.
  • Recovery will be 2 to 3 weeks.
  • If the pathology report shows clean margins, i.e. the cancer is contained within the prostate then no other procedures will be needed.

Mary and I feel very blessed. We are thankful for our great community of fellow believers who are praying for us. We are thankful for the excellent health care available in our community. We are thankful for the direction of the Holy Spirit.

Who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should choose. Psalm 25:17

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8