Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Can Not Begin To Comprehend

I was eating dinner tonight with some friends at a local restaurant. We talked, we laughed and we shared stories about our lives. I was a good time with my friends… but there was uneasiness in the deepest part of my heart. I found it difficult to enjoy the fellowship as I normally would. It had nothing to do with my friends. The food did not satisfy; it had little taste. It had nothing to do with my taste buds or the restaurant’s chef… it was my mind and heart.

The deepest part of my soul could not stop thinking about Haiti. Try to imagine that within a 30 to 40 seconds window, thousands upon thousands of people lost their lives… we may never know the number. I was also thinking about the thousands who are still trapped… many of whom will die as well.

One of Katie’s friends who does mission work in Haiti arrived at the main airport just prior to the earthquake. He was on his way to his hotel in Port-au-Prince when the quake hit. He hasn’t been heard from since.

I can not begin to comprehend the pain, the suffering… being without water and food. The not knowing of where your child is or trying to comfort your child who is badly injured and there is no medical help. Can you imagine hearing the cries of a loved one under a pile of rubble and there is nothing you can do to get them out?

Many ask “Where is God in all of this?” Not an easy question. An article written by Albert Mohler, the President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville helped me to gain some perspective. To read the article, follow the link:
http://ow.ly/WA7p. It’s excellent.

If you want to do something tangible, you can do something immediately through our Southern Baptist agency – Baptist Global Response. BGR is already at work in assessing the best way to assist Haiti in their immediate time of need.

You can give directly via the internet. Please go to
http://gobgr.org and click on Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund. One hundred percent of your donation will be used to provide relief in Haiti. No funds will be used for administration or promotion.

Keep praying…