Monday, April 12, 2010

Experiences

I haven’t written a blog lately for a specific reason. I recently finished a forty day fast with two wonderful brothers at Gateway. We embarked on this journey not knowing what God was going to teach us. All we knew was that God was calling each of us to an extended fast.

It all started back in January. I had begun to sense from the Holy Spirit that I was to enter into an extended fast. I tried to put it off… coming up with plenty of excuses. Then I received an email from one of my friends saying he was feeling directed by God to a forty day fast. He asked me if I had some information about an extended fast. He ended his email with “… and why don’t you join me on the fast?” Well that settled it. We agreed to meet for chicken wings (always begin a fast with chicken wings!). He invited a close friend and we all agreed that God was calling us to this endeavor.

Over the next forty days we encouraged each other and prayed for each other. We each had different experiences on the journey. But that’s how God works. He always personalizes our journey with him.

During the fast, I decided to refrain from writing. I didn’t want to be diverted.

Now as I reflect on my time during the fast, let me share just a few thoughts. Keep in mind that these thoughts are incomplete…

  • God revealed to me that I had slipped into replacing faith with experience.
  • God reminded me that he was not impressed with my experience.
  • God desires faith… it’s the only way I can please him! (Heb. 11:6)
  • It’s easy to allow your experience, education and knowledge to supersede God’s word.
  • It’s easy to spiritualize your experience beyond God’s truth.
  • Not all experiences are valid. Just because I experienced something does not mean that it is truth.
  • All of my experiences must be measured, gauged and interpreted by Scripture.
  • Ultimately I learned that I must be passionate, enthralled, captivated by God’s compelling purpose for my life.
  • I’m the only person who can live God’s purpose for my life! (Ps. 139:16)
  • I must live to please God, not people. I live to serve people, but I exist to please God! (1 Thess. 2:4)

What has God been teaching you?

Pastor Don